The White Horse was first opened as a public house in 1715 by James Thomas, a Welshman. When the Lancaster Road was opened in 1741, Edward Kennison, then owner of the property, quickly expanded the inn. By the Revolutionary period, the inn was owned by John Kerlin. During the period of British occupation, the inn suffered heavy damages, but it still maintained a brisk business. After 1794, the inn was sold several times, it last innkeepr being Samuel Ritenbough, who finally ended its days as a tavern. When he sold the property, he stipulated that it remain a private residence.