A history of the college:
This admirable and extensive educational institution, conceived and carried on by the Friends for the co-education of the sexes, had its inception in a meeting held in Baltimore, Oct. 2, 1860. It was there proposed to erect a new institution of learning, under the care of Friends, designed to equal the best colleges in the land. With this object in view the society purchased two hundred and forty acres of land on Crum Creek, in this township, and distant about eleven miles from Philadelphia, via the central division of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad. Swarthmore College was incorporated by act of the Legislature, passed April 1, 1864. By this act James Martin, John M. Ogden, Ezra Michener, Mahlon K. Taylor, Thomas Ridgway, James Mott, Dillwyn Parrish, William W. Longstreth, William Dorsey, Edward Hoopes, William C. Biddle, Joseph Powell, Joseph Wharton, John Sellers, Clement Biddle, P. P. Sharpless, Edward Parrish, Levi K. Brown, Hugh Mcllvain, Franklin Shoemaker, and their associates and sucessors were constituted the body corporate. The capital stock consisted of fifty thousand dollars, but an act approved April 14, 1870, granted authority to increase it to five hundred thousand dollars.