Though Birmingham-Lafayette is non-sectarian now, it started as the burial ground for the Birmingham Friends Meeting beside it. The sections of the cemetery closest to the meetinghouse along both sides of the roadway leading from the old gates near the octagonal schoolhouse are the original sections. They are easy to identify as well by the many well-worn, simple marble markers that were preferred by the Quakers, and which, sadly, becoming very hard to read.
Behind the old meetinghouse at the corner of Caln Meetinghouse Lane and Rte 340, is the old Caln Friends burial ground. At the time of the Separation, the meetinghouse and this cemetery were retained by the Hicksite branch, while the Orthodox branch established a small burial ground across the road.
On the south side of the road, across from the Old Caln meetinghouse and N. Bailiey Road lies the small cemetery surrounded by a stone wall that was estbalished by the Orhtodox members of the Caln meeting at the time of the Separation. As there is nowhere to park, your best bet is to park at the meetinghouse and walk over. This meeting was also known at times as East Caln to distinguish it from the West Caln meeting several miles to the west along Route 340.
This was the original meeting's burial ground and was retained by the Hicksite branch at the time of the Separation. The Orthodox branch built a small meetinghouse and established their own burial ground nearby. Because the meeting is located in Ercildoun, references to the meeting may also refer to it as Ercildoun rather than Fallowfield.
Though the Orthodox meeting house is long gone, the old cemetery that was established by the Orthodox members of Fallowfield meeting is still accessible. Surrounded by a sturdy stone wall, it lies between Rte 82 and Doe Run Road to the northwest of the modern day Fallowfield meetinghouse.
Set up in 1781 by Uwchlan Monthly after being an indulged meeting since 1739 under the care of Uwchlan Preparative, with the permission of Goshen Monthly. At the time of the Separation, both sides continued to use the meeting house, but neither side lasted very long and both were laid down within a few years of the Separation. In 1882, the property excluding the burial ground, was sold to John E. Rettew.
The meetnghouse is gone, but the burial ground remains intact, surrounded by a sturdy stone wall.