Founded in 1686, Birmingham township's earliest settler was William Brinton and his family. The township's first constable was Brinton's son-in-law, John Bennett. Early records from the area show the name as Burningham.
1040 West Street Road, West Chester, PA 19382-8012
The original name for Parkesburg was Fountain Inn, probably named for an ancient tavern by that namelocated on Main Street. The tavern property is still standing,located at 131/133 Main Street. In 1872, the town became a Borough, separting from Sadsburgy Township. In 1836, the post mark for the borough changed its name to Parkesburgh, and in 1894 the 'h' was dropped, giving the current name of Parkesburg.