Church of the Advent Episcopalian parish was founded in 1882, with their first church being erected on South Broad street in Kennett Square. By the 1950's they had outgrown their space and moved to their current location just north of Kennnett Square.
The congregation that would be become Church of the Ascension first met in Parke Hall in 1865. At that point, they were known as Grace Church. The land for their current church was purchased in 1896 and the church was completed in 1899.
The Church of the Holy Trinity was founded in 1835, first holding services in the Odd Fellows hall on South Church street.In 1838, the first church was built on Gay street between Darlington and New streets, but they soon outgrew their first space. In 1858, the church on Gay street was expanded quite a bit, but within ten years, they were again too crowded and in 1868 purchased the lot on High street where they are currently located.
Built in 1806, the St. Mary's church on Warwick road was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. The historical marker notes that it was rebuilt in 1843. At some point, the congregation stopped using the church on Warwick Road and the focus shifted to teh property on Morningside Road nearby.
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church was founded in 1832, its first first being Cyrus Jacobs. Jacobs left in 1836 to return to his home in Virginia and the church was served by some of the local churches as the church had begun to decline. During the Civil War, the church closed, only to re-open in 1866, after the war was over.. For the rest of the centruy, the church would go through periods of opening and closing, until in 1920 it was closed again and the church property turned over to the Diocese of Pennsylvania. Finally, in 1950, a group of local residents petitioned th Diocese to re-open the church and it has been open ever since.
7 Saint Andrew's Lane Glenmoore, Pennsylvania 19343
St. James Episcopal Church was established in 1842 after Rev. Gregory Bedell of Holy Trinity in West Chester conducted services in Downingtown.The church was completed in 1843 and the first pastor, William Augustus White of Boston, was installed. In 1863, the church underwent major architectural changes to take on the appearance it has today.
There had originally been a cemetery laid out behind the church, but after borough ordiances mandated that no burials take palce within town limits, the burial gorund was moved to a spot in Northwood Cemetery.