In 1737, one of the earliest settlers in the Newville area, WIlliam Laughlin, donated 89 acres to build the original log structure that was the first Big Spring Presbyterian Church. The first application for permission to build a church in the Newville area was made in 1735, but was postponed initally due to the relatively short distance to the already existing church at Pennsborough. Within a year ro two, however, the request was granted and the Bg Spring congregation was established.
Across the street from the church is the large cemetery now known as the John Graham Memorial Cemetery.
Big Spring Ave at N. Corporation St., Newville, PA
Dickinson Presbyterain Churhc wasfounded in 1823 and built their church, the only one they have ever used, in 1827. The cemetery lies besides the church, while its parish house is on the opposite side of the road.
The congregation of First Presbyterian in Carlisle is the successor to the group of pioneers who founded a congregation at Meeting House Spring. The old meeting house is long gone, but the cemetery has been preserved.
The original church for Second Presbyterian was located one block away from the First Presbyterian Chuch in Carlisle, from which it had separated on doctrinal issues in 1832. By 1870, the congregation had outgrown its space and rebuilt a larger church. In 1971, they moved to a new location on Garland Drive.