One of the earliest Quaker meetings established in Maryland, Herring Creek initially met in the home of Samuel Chew of the Herring Creek area. Chew would later establish Herrington. By the beginning of 1727, the Herring Friends were meeting in their own meetinghouse.
West River Friends Meeting was the site of the first General Meeting of Friends in Maryland that was held in 1672 and was the forerunner of Baltimore Yearly Meeting. The meeting was discontinued in 1784
There is no remaining sign of the meeting house but the larger, well-kept burial ground remains in Galesville.