On Sept. 24, 1683, five hundred acres of land was surveyed to Nicholas Newlin, which, lying to the south of the Hitchcock tract, extended from the eastern township line westward to Concord Street road, which ran north and south, dividing the township in the centre. Within this estate, which was patented to Newlin May 1, 1685, a part of the headwaters of the west branch of Chester Creek were embraced, and through the lower part of Newlin's land, running east and west. Providence and Concord road was laid out Aug. 15, 1715. Twenty-two years prior to this highway being approved, Aug. 21, 1693, a road still in use, beginning east of the present school-house on that road, and running thence northward to the Thornbury line, was laid out by the grand jury. On April 2, 1703, the tract was resurveyed to Nathaniel Newlin, the son of Nicholas, and was found to contain five hundred and fifty-two acres of land. The following year (1704) Nathaniel Newlin built a stone grist-mill on the west branch of Chester Creek, now owned by Samuel Hill.