Tracing the history of Coventry Forge Inn is a bit of a challenge Though some have claimed that it was by Samuel Nutt, that seems a bit unlikely as Nutt had built a house about 1725, known as coventry Hall, that is no longer standing. The Coventry Forge Inn property was built sometime before 1756 and was a private home for many years, until it eventually became the Rising Sun Tavern, run by Frederick Bingaman. In later years, Frederick's son John ran the inn, but after he converted to Methodism, he cut down the tavern sign and closed up shop, rolling his liquor kegs down the hill to town, where there were, no doubt, enjoyed by the local lads. The house itself remained in the Bingaman family until 1935.
In 1937, Claire Callahan bought the property, after a friend read her a listing for the house, which described it as follows:
Log and stone house, unspoiled; worthy of a place in a museum; 9 rooms, attic, Rising Sun Tavern; discontinued as a tavern in 1817, according to history; rare old paneled woodwork, corner closets, wall closets, wide flor and partition boards, 6 fireplaces; original hardware includes "press down" door latches and irons to receive the crossbar which loocked the front door; electricity, hot water heat, automatic water system; barn, garage; springhouse, all stone; spring brrok making swimming pool possible; wonderful old trees; 10 acres.