The construction of the double mansion that was called Langoma was begun in 1890 by Col. Josephh D. Potts, of the well known iron-making family. It was intended to be a home for both Joseph and his wife Mary as well as his older son William and his wife Mabel. Joseph, however, died in 1893 and never had a chance to live in the mansion he visualized. His son WIlliam finshed the mansion in 1897 and lived there with his mother and wife. William died in 1943 and the property eventually went to the Sisters of St. Mary of Providence, who first utilized as a home for girls. It is now a retreat center and retirement community for nuns.