Adamstown was incorporated as a borough on April 2, 1850, though it was settled as a town much earlier. The original town site was laid out in 1761 by William Addams and was first known as Addamsburry.
Incorporated as a borough in January 1894, Christiana's first municipal officials were elected in February 1894 as follows:
Isaac W. Slokom - Mayor Mahlon B. Kent - President of Council James B. Kennedy - Councilman E. G. Bromell - Councilman Harry Daves - Councilman John D. Harrar - Councilman Brinton Walter - Councilman Thompson Pennock - High Constable P.E. Hannum - Clerk Nathaniel Gillespie - Treasurer