Goshen Friends Meeting (Quaker)

Goshen meeting was set up in 1721/22 by Chester Quarterly from part of the membership of Chester Monthly Meeting and three preparative meetings, Goshen, Whiteland and Willistown, were set up under the new meeting’s jurisdiction. In 1939, the preparative meetings were set up as monthly meetings and the original Goshen meeting was discontinued, its membership passed to the new Goshen Monthly meeting. Goshen has a rather unusual set up in that both the Hicksite and the Orthodox branches of the meeting are next to each other in Goshenville. The Hicksites retained the older meetinghouse on the corner of North Chester Road and Paoli Pike, while the Orthodox branch used the newer building, at one time in use by the Grange and now used for the Goshen Friends School.