General Washington Inn

Erected in 1761 as an inn, the General Washington Inn was first owned by John Downing. The Inn was known by various names, including the “King of Arms” and “King George”, until after the Revolutionary War when it was renamed as the General Washington. It served as a commissary for the trrops during the Revolution and later become the first post office in Chester county, run by Hunt Downing, appointed as Postmaster in 1796. The building now houses an antiques dealer.

Leave a Comment