Now owned by the Chadds Ford Historic Society, this house was built about 1726 on land owned by William Barns. Barns had a tavern on the location prior to the existing structure being built, as his name is found on a petition for a license as early as 1722.
Barns ran the tavern until his death in 1731. The executor of his estate, James Few, operated the inn for a few more years after Barns’ death. In 1753, the property was sold to James Brinton and remained in Brinton possession until 1859. Ultimately it became the property of the Chadds Ford Historical Society in 1969.