There has been an inn at Dilworthtown since 1780, the first, opened by James Dilworth, being called the Sign of the Pennsylvania Farmer. During the Revolutionary War, the Inn property suffered heavily.
Since its opening the Inn has been known as the Sign of the Pennsylvania Farmer. the Black Horse Tavern, the Rising Sun, and the Cross Keys. Its current name has been in use since 1821.