West Whiteland Inn

The building housing the former West Whiteland Inn was enlarged about 1825, at which time its owner at the time, John Roberts, applied for a tavern license for the premises. His first attempt was unsuccessful, but the following year, he and Joseph Hall, his renter, were able to secure a license and the inn was licensed continuously until 1837 as the West Whiteland Inn. At that point, Jacob Fisher, who had replaced Hall  as tavern keeper, moved to a new location a few miles east (to what had formerly been the Sheaf of Wheat) and took the name with him, and the former inn ceased to be licensed.

A sturdy stone wall borders the property.

Leave a Comment