Marshalton Inn

In 1793, Joseph Woodward purchased 4 acres in what would become Marshallton and built a stone house and stable. In 1814, the stone house became a tavern, first known as the General Wayne, but after a number of name changes, it began to go by the name by which we know it now, the Marshalton Inn. The stables next door now house the Four Dogs Tavern, another popular venue in the historic little town.

Apparently the difference in spelling between the name of the Inn and the town is due to a mistake made on a deed for the property that was never corrected.

Leave a Comment